- Cut each of the parsnips and carrots in half lengthways and then into quarters. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and leave to cool.
- Mix together the honey, oil, tamari and herbs in a bowl. Add the parsnips and carrots. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Tip the parsnips and carrots, with their marinade, on to the prepared tray and roast for 20–25 minutes until golden. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a platter. Sprinkle with the pistachios and lemon juice.
- Turnip or sweet potatoes would make a perfect substitute for the parsnips or carrots in this recipe.
Extract from Detox Kitchen Vegetables by Lily Simpson. Photographs © Issy Croker