- Add the oil to a saucepan over a low to medium heat, add the lamb and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and gently brown for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the leeks, carrots and cubed sweet potatoes, stir 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with flour and mix well ensuring all pieces are coated.
- Stir in the stock and add the split peas, bay leaf and white pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding water if more liquid is needed. After about 30 minutes preheat your oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Remove from the heat and add to an ovenproof dish. Arrange the sweet potato slices on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the potato is golden brown and crisping at the edges.
- You could make this dish with chicken pieces, pork or beef.
- Any root vegetables work well – try a combination of carrots, swede and turnip.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in portions then defrost in the fridge, or defrost in a microwave, taking care to stir regularly.