- Peel pears and core from the base using a small knife or vegetable peeler. Trim the base flat so the pears stand up.
- Add the pears to a pan with cordial diluted 3:1, making sure they are fully immersed.
- Add star anise and the cinnamon stick, then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the pears are tender.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Boil the liquid for 10-15 minutes until the liquid is reduced to about 200ml, then remove the star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Place the pears on a serving dish and drizzle with the sauce. Serve with a dollop of low-fat yogurt or non-dairy alternative.
- Works very well with apples in place of pears.
- Try using a different cordial or add a few slices of fresh ginger or 2 cloves.