- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Add the oil and onions to a pan and cook until softened, but not browned.
- Add the pork and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring until the meat starts to brown.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, flour and seasoning, stir for 2-3 minutes, then add the barley, mustard and stock. Mix well, bring to the boil and transfer to an overproof casserole dish.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in the middle of the oven for 60-70 minutes. (Alternatively, you can carry on cooking on the hob, if you add a lid and turn the heat down low.)
- If using fatty meat, cook the casserole and then refrigerate overnight. You can then remove the fat easily from the top of the dish and reheat the casserole before serving.
- Pearl barley is high in soluble fibre – the fibre that helps control blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
- With a low glycaemic index, pearl barley is also a good alternative to other starchy carbohydrate foods.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost thoroughly to serve or reheat until piping hot throughout.