- Add the oil to a large pan over a medium heat, then add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes until it starts to brown, then add the peppers and courgette. Fry until both are soft, then stir in the garlic and spices and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and lemon juice, then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make 4 hollows in the sauce and break in the eggs. Turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes until the eggs are just set. Sprinkle with a few chilli flakes and coriander to serve.
- Serve with toasted wholemeal pitta soldiers.
- You could use any colour peppers for this dish.
- Try adding mushrooms or artichoke hearts.
- Break each egg into a separate cup or ramekin before adding them to the pan. This helps you get them into the pan faster and avoids getting egg shell in the shakshuka.
- Freezing instructions: the sauce can be frozen.