- Add 1 tsp of the oil to a saucepan over a low to medium heat, then add the leek. Cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring regularly until the leek has softened, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg into the milk, then place the flour in a bowl and gradually stir in the milk mixture until smooth. Next, add the cheese, ham and leek, and mix well. Season with the pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the remaining oil and wipe it around the pan with kitchen paper, then add 1 tbsp of the mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then flip over with a spatula and cook for another minute or two on the other side. The pancakes should be about 8cm in diameter and only 3–4mm thick. You should be able to cook 2 or 3 in a large pan at the same time.
- The ingredients should be finely chopped to ensure even cooking.
- For extra flavour, add fresh herbs, such as chives, basil or tarragon.
- Smoked ham is lower in fat and saturated fat, but still has lots of flavour.