Restructuring within CCGs to develop Primary Care Networks (PCNs) gives an opportunity to strengthen joined-up specialist care and provide a diabetes service addressing the holistic needs of people with diabetes. This guideline gives recommendations on the development of diabetes care delivery at the PCN level, aimed at supporting diabetes care delivery in the new PCNs.
- The importance of early referral and intensive treatment for people newly diagnosed with diabetes
- The need to go beyond glycaemic management in diabetes care to offer a holistic approach and address long-term disease burden
- The role of PCNs in supporting underserved groups and different populations in their localities (e.g. frail people, young adults, black and minority ethnic populations, people with type 1 diabetes and people with learning difficulties)
- How we can meet the education and training needs of health professionals delivering diabetes care within PCNs
- Forming Diabetes Support Teams within PCNs – the why and how.