- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4.
- Scoop the flesh out of the aubergines, chop, and reserve. Place the aubergine skin-side down onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a pan, then add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and chopped aubergine flesh, then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, canned tomatoes and oregano, mix well, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Next, add the borlotti beans and spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and fill with the bean and vegetable mixture, then place in an ovenproof dish.
- Scatter with tofu, return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Top with the sliced mozzarella and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and scatter with chopped tomato, spring onion and basil to serve.
- Once the aubergines are stuffed, you can pop them in the fridge, and bake when as needed.
- Use a non-dairy cheese alternative for a vegan version.