- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir through the yeast. Mix together half of the oil, the milk and 50ml hand hot water, pour into the flour and combine to form a dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Re-knead, then shape into a square approximately 40cm x 40cm.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry gently for 8–10 minutes until softened and beginning to turn golden.
- Scatter over the pizza base along with the remaining ingredients except chives, then bake for 20–25 minutes until the pizza base is golden and crisp. Scatter with the chives and serve.
- For a vegetarian version, use 75g shredded sundried tomatoes in place of the anchovies.
- Make the pizza with red onions for more colour.