The 15 different health checks and services you're entitled to when you have diabetes. They're essential for managing your diabetes and key to reducing your risk of developing diabetes complications.
Diabetes can lead to serious complications, like sight loss, amputation and heart disease.
Knowing what health checks you need and how to get them can reduce your risk of developing these complications.
The 15 healthcare essentials
Your HbA1c blood test, eye screening and foot checks are all part of the 15 diabetes healthcare essentials. You might already be getting these checks, but did you know that the healthcare essentials cover things like advice on diet and a free flu jab too?
Here are the 15 essentials you should be offered:
- Blood glucose test (HbA1c test)
- Blood pressure check
- Cholesterol check (for blood fats)
- Eye screening
- Foot and leg check
- Kidney tests
- Advice on diet
- Emotional and psychological support
- Diabetes education course
- Care from diabetes specialists
- Free flu jab
- Good care if you’re in hospital
- Support with any sexual problems
- Help to stop smoking
- Specialist care if you’re planning to have a baby.
These essential checks and services are there to help you manage your diabetes and reduce your risk of developing life-changing complications. Discover the tools to help make sure you know all 15 essentials.