Asparagus, pea & spring onion risotto
This makes a tasty meal, served warm with salad
Serves 2 – gluten free – vegetarian – 2½ portions of fruit & veg per serving – prep: 5–10 minutes – cook: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 200g asparagus, chopped into 1½cm pieces
- 1 gluten-free vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 900ml water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch white pepper
- 150g Arborio rice
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 tsp half-fat crème fraiche
- 10g butter
- 10g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Add the oil to a saucepan, then add the spring onions and the asparagus stems, but not the tips, and stir for 1 minute over a medium heat. In a separate pan, heat the stock and gently simmer.
- Add the garlic and white pepper to the asparagus stems and spring onion. Stir for 1 minute, then add the rice. Stir for 2 minutes more, add two ladles of stock (enough to just cover the rice) and stir again.
- Regularly stirring the rice, add hot stock a little at a time so the rice is just covered. The risotto should be bubbling very gently.
- After 20 minutes, add any remaining stock, the peas and asparagus tips. Stir for 2–5 minutes, testing to make sure the rice is al dente (slightly firm).
- Vigorously stir in the crème fraiche, butter and cheese. Cover and allow to stand for 2 minutes, then serve.
Per serving (746g)
474Kcal – 15.8g protein – 70.2g carbs (
4.7g sugars) –
14.3g fat (
5.3g saturates) –