- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery and potatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften but not brown.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the pasta, beans, peas and cabbage and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
- Stir through the parsley and pesto and season well. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese shavings.
- Minestrone is great for using up vegetables as you can add most veggies, for example parsnip, swede, potato, courgettes, peppers or aubergine.
- Add more flavour with 1 tsp oregano and a few chilli flakes.
- Make this veggie by using vegetarian pesto and vegetarian hard cheese, such as strong Cheddar cheese.
- Freezing instructions: Can be frozen in small pots for individual portions. Defrost in a microwave and slowly until piping hot.