- Rinse the basmati rice in water and add to a pan with 700ml boiling water (1 part rice to 2 parts water). Add 1 heaped tsp of the curry paste and all the smoked paprika, mix bring back to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 3 minutes with the lid on. All the water should then be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, boil 4 eggs for 5 minutes, refresh in cold water, peel and cut into quarters.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and add the leeks and red pepper. Cook for 5–7 minutes, stirring regularly, until they’re soft.
- Mix the remaining curry paste with the leeks and pepper abd add the salmon. Cook for 3–4 minutes and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice, yogurt and coriander to the rice and mix well.
- Fold the vegetable and salmon mixture into the hot rice and top with the egg quarters, lemon wedges and a sprig of coriander.
- Kedgeree can easily be made vegan if you omit the eggs and use mushrooms or smoked tofu instead of fish.
- You could use any white fish, such as cod or haddock, or add some prawns, too. Parsley works well if you don’t have coriander.
- For a quicker dish, you could use ready-cooked rice and add the paprika to the vegetables and salmon. Eggs can be hard boiled the day before and kept in the fridge.