- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Add the sultanas, raisins and peel to a bowl, cover with the boiling water and set aside.
- Mix together the mashed banana, eggs and oil in a large bowl, and beat well.
- Mix in the courgette, apple and carrot, then stir in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Next, add the dried fruit, plus soaking water.
- Mix well and put into a 20cm cake tin lined with baking parchment, top with the cherries and almonds. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 1½ hours. Remove the foil 15–20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, then bake for the remainder of the time.
- Test with a skewer or knife, which should come out clean when cooked, and remove from the oven.
- You could easily make this cake with gluten-free flour, but you may need to add an extra 50ml liquid, depending on the type of flour you choose.
- Any dried fruits work well – prunes, apricots, currants or mixed fruit.
- Once cooked, you can drizzle with 1 tsp runny honey, if preferred.