- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas 4. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and leave to infuse.
- For the salad, break the lettuce into individual leaves, wash and thoroughly drain.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half to make them thinner, rub with a little oil then cook on a hot griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked through. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into strips.
- To make the croutons, add the garlic and olive oil to a bowl and crush further with the back of a spoon. Add the black pepper, mix well and coat the insides of the bowl with the mixture.
- Add the bread cubes and mix so all the bread is coated with some of the oil. Spread the cubes onto a baking sheet and bake in the preheated over for around 8-10 minutes, turning a couple of times with a spatula and being careful not to burn.
- To assemble, layer the lettuce in a shallow bowl, saving the smaller leaves until last, so you create concentric circles. Drizzle with the dressing, sprinkle with the croutons and chicken, and top with the Parmesan shavings.
- If you have time, plunge the lettuce in ice-cold water just before using, to crisp up and refresh the leaves.