- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Toss the steak in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the steak, then fry for 2–3 minutes until browned all over
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, then cover and place in the oven. Cook for 1.5–2 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Serve with plenty of vegetables.
- You could use lamb, venison or pork in this recipe instead of beef.
- To make a vegetarian version, use tofu in place of beef. Reduce the cooking time by 30 minutes.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat until piping hot throughout.