- Heat the oil in a pan and add the beef and onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until starting to brown.
- Add all the other ingredients, stir and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, add the pan lid and cook gently for 1.5-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve the stew with the injera (see Chef's Tips).
- 4 injera made with 150g teff flour, large pinch salt and 180g water + 2 tsp oil for frying (recipe not included in nutritional information)
- You can use lamb or chicken in place of beef.
- If you don’t have dried lentils a can is fine – look for those canned in water without added salt and add them for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Aduki beans work well instead of lentils.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat until piping hot throughout.