- Place the bread into a small bowl, pour over the milk and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Mash with a fork.
- Stir in the mince, garlic, egg yolk, onion and herbs, season with black pepper and combine well. Form into 16 pieces and roll into balls.
- Toss in the oil and place under a hot grill and grill for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned all over and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place all the sauce ingredients except the cornflour into a small pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp water and stir into the sauce. Reheat until thickened then serve over the meatballs. Serve with spaghetti.
- Wholemeal bread works just as well. You could use beef, lamb or turkey mince in place of pork.
- To add extra flavour, add a good pinch of chilli flakes to the meatball mixture.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze the meatballs and sauce separately. Defrost in the microwave. Reheat until piping hot throughout.